Thermal Paste
I want to know what the fuss is about reapplying thermal paste? I feel like it's just a meme but everyone talks about it.  Thinking
>have x200
>no libreboot
Sad
I recently reapplied thermal paste to an 8 year or laptop and CPU idle temps dropped from just below 60C to right above 40. So about a 15C drop when idle.
I had begun to noticed that the fan was oscillating between spinning real fast and then slowing down a bit and this has definitely helped, it runs a lot more stable now.
Was actually thinking about buying those new IC Graphite thermal pads but couldn't find them.
its not a meme, as thermal paste ages it loses its original properties, primarily good thermal conductivity, that is why old paste is flaky and brittle when you remove the cooler from CPU
(05-27-2018, 06:58 PM)pellertson Wrote: I want to know what the fuss is about reapplying thermal paste? I feel like it's just a meme but everyone talks about it.  Thinking

If you are having temperature problems (or if you buy an old laptop), then you should try reapplying thermal paste.

(05-27-2018, 06:58 PM)pellertson Wrote: I want to know what the fuss is about reapplying thermal paste? I feel like it's just a meme but everyone talks about it.
Damn, thermal paste is no meme. You need to efficiently transfer heat to remove it with your fan. Think about it, it’s just common sense. Just read the first paragraph of wiki/Thermal Grease.
If doomsday’s coming, let the earth attack.
▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾

Information 
(05-30-2018, 01:12 PM)zutruth Wrote:
(05-27-2018, 06:58 PM)pellertson Wrote: I want to know what the fuss is about reapplying thermal paste? I feel like it's just a meme but everyone talks about it.
Damn, thermal paste is no meme. You need to efficiently transfer heat to remove it with your fan. Think about it, it’s just common sense. Just read the first paragraph of wiki/Thermal Grease.

You Brainlet, read the post. I was asking about reapplying thermal paste.

Anyways, I reapplied some just the other day. And I am very pleased. Fan is running smoother now. Can confirm reapplying thermal paste is not a meme.
>have x200
>no libreboot
Sad
(06-07-2018, 10:21 PM)pellertson Wrote: You brainlet, read the post. I was asking about reapplying thermal paste.
I read that. So what exactly were you questioning then? That thermal paste wears out in one way or another?
If doomsday’s coming, let the earth attack.
▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾

(06-08-2018, 02:05 AM)zutruth Wrote:
(06-07-2018, 10:21 PM)pellertson Wrote: You brainlet, read the post. I was asking about reapplying thermal paste.
I read that. So what exactly were you questioning then? That thermal paste wears out in one way or another?

Just wondering if the thermal paste replacement is a good practice in general. I've heard some people talk about it wearing out but I've heard differently from other people.
>have x200
>no libreboot
Sad
What about thermal pad replacement? I have an x220 that I am going to replace the thermal paste on but there is a thermal pad on either the north bridge or some other chip next to the cpu that is under the heat sync.  I assume that these would need to be replaced around the same time as normal thermal paste would? That being said should I replace it with another pad or would grease be fine? Just trying to save my schmeckles.

Attached Files
.png   Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 2.42.51 PM.png (Size: 379.87 KB / Downloads: 5)
Daily Driver: x230 with Debian
Others: x200T, x220, muh-gaymen pc

[-]
Quick Reply