Looking for portability
Hi to everyone, I'm an italian Larbs user and till now i'm very pleased with it.
I'm using it on a desktop pc (a small fanless Zotac), but it would really be nice for me to use it on the go with a notebook.
I saw all the videos about the Thinkpads, but I'm looking for something more easely portable. One thing I really hate about notebooks is how big are the power supplies: there's out there something quite light/not too expensive/with usb-c charging capability (it would be nice to use a power bank on the go). Maybe Chromebooks? Any advice?

Last thing for Luke: in one of your last videos you were talking about a way to update the larbs installation with the last changes from your repo, any update about this topic?
If you want a good and light machine just go for the Thinkpad x200 if you don't want botnet. (Recommended if you care about intel me)
If you however don't care about intel me you could get an x220 (Recommended if you don't care about me)
Both are pretty light and slim and are easy to take with you.

and if you want to embrace to botnet to get shit services for free then get a fucking chromebook (DEFINATELY NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!)
>If you want a good and light machine just go for the Thinkpad x200 if you don't want botnet. (Recommended if you care about intel me)
The X200 has the ME. You need to buy an xx60 series ThinkPad (and older) if you want to be safe.
[quote pid='222' dateline='1526972300']

>If you want a good and light machine just go for the Thinkpad x200 if you don't want botnet. (Recommended if you care about intel me)
The X200 has the ME. You need to buy an xx60 series ThinkPad (and older) if you want to be safe.
[/quote]

Ever heard of Libreboot or Coreboot?

Edit: Quoting doesn’t work. Bug, bug, bug!
If doomsday’s coming, let the earth attack.
▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾

Well, Chromebooks aren't really serious computers. They're really more like folding cellphones. You can install real GNU/Linux on them, but their specs are really terrible and make them useless for things aside from webbrowsing or writing in a lightweight program. If that's all you need, you can get one and install a non-Google OS and you'll be okay if you don't need any storage space.

If you're looking for a computer that will consistently last more than two years and is cheap, and is durable, and is repairable, classic ThinkPads are the only game in town. You can get a X220 on eBay for a fraction of the cost of a Chrome book. I'm not sure where you're getting this about "not being portable". The X series laptops are the same dimensions as Chromebooks.
>Ever heard of Libreboot or Coreboot?
He never mentioned it, and the X200 requires hardware flashing; which is not something everyone can do.
[quote pid='228' dateline='1526979967']
He never mentioned it, and the X200 requires hardware flashing; which is not something everyone can do.
[/quote]

Okay, true. However, Ministry of Freedom sells Libreboot X200s. In any case, one can get and even order X200s which are free of Intel’s Management Engine.
If doomsday’s coming, let the earth attack.
▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾

(05-22-2018, 05:03 AM)Luke Wrote: [...] If you're looking for a computer that will consistently last more than two years and is cheap, and is durable, and is repairable, classic ThinkPads are the only game in town. You can get a X220 on eBay for a fraction of the cost of a Chrome book. I'm not sure where you're getting this about "not being portable". The X series laptops are the same dimensions as Chromebooks.

ok, you got me, I'm negotiating for a x220 ;-) thanks!
you can nuke ME with ME cleaner even if you cant libreboot it, in any case it requires tampering with hardware and flash reprogramming
(05-21-2018, 02:15 PM)bordusko Wrote: Hi to everyone, I'm an italian Larbs user and till now i'm very pleased with it.
I'm using it on a desktop pc (a small fanless Zotac), but it would really be nice for me to use it on the go with a notebook.
I saw all the videos about the Thinkpads, but I'm looking for something more easely portable. One thing I really hate about notebooks is how big are the power supplies: there's out there something quite light/not too expensive/with usb-c charging capability (it would be nice to use a power bank on the go). Maybe Chromebooks? Any advice?

Last thing for Luke: in one of your last videos you were talking about a way to update the larbs installation with the last changes from your repo, any update about this topic?
If you want something easily portable, low power, cheep, and a small usb-c charger look no further then the Nintendo Switch!
We have a smilie for that here: Soy Boy
(05-21-2018, 02:15 PM)bordusko Wrote: Hi to everyone, I'm an italian Larbs user and till now i'm very pleased with it.

The thinkpad x series is probably your best bet, if you wanted something even small my only suggestion would be a macbook air but you would have to work way harder to find a deal on one of those since their price is so inflated. Hope you post pics when you do get your machine!
(05-21-2018, 02:15 PM)bordusko Wrote: One thing I really hate about notebooks is how big are the power supplies: there's out there something quite light/not too expensive/with usb-c charging capability (it would be nice to use a power bank on the go). Maybe Chromebooks? Any advice?

Dude, your mobile friendly usb phone chargers are normally under 10W.
Typical notebook power adapters are almost always above 50W.
Even the famous 2 core, 1 port, 1200$ Macbook has a 45W adapter.
Thindpads x200 needs 90W.
I'm afraid you can't get what you dream of at the moment.
Designing a small form factor 50W switching power supply with high efficiency is not a trivial engineering effort. 
Especially the electromagnetic compatibility imposed by industry standard is a big challenge.  

That means, even if there will be some tiny but powerful notebook adapters in the near future, they are not going to be cheap.
Except we have some ground-breaking new theories in power electronics ...
[Image: 7MRnNhp.jpg]
[quote pid='228' dateline='1526979967']
[/quote]

> Which is not something everyone can do.

False everyone can do it if they care enough to learn it Smug
Have a look at the GPD Pocket.

[Image: zfymhg.jpg]
(06-05-2018, 04:25 PM)0n Zen Wrote: Have a look at the GPD Pocket.

[Image: zfymhg.jpg]

Is there people who buy/use these weird stuff

[-]
Quick Reply