Help for Bitcoin/Crypto Brainlets?
I'm going to be starting taking Bitcoin donations and so I wanted to start a Bitcoin wallet. Now I'm not close to being any savant when it comes to crypto, but I've been looking into what I need to know and sort of finally have a handle on how the whole thing works.

That said, what site or service should I use for setting up a Bitcoin wallet? Are there any run by trusted non-shill people, preferrably with free software? If that shouldn't be a concern, feel free to say so as well. Again, I'm a noob about this stuff.

Feel free to post your own questions about Bitcoin here for the more knowledgable to answer.
(06-12-2018, 07:02 PM)Luke Wrote: I'm going to be starting taking Bitcoin donations and so I wanted to start a Bitcoin wallet. Now I'm not close to being any savant when it comes to crypto, but I've been looking into what I need to know and sort of finally have a handle on how the whole thing works.

That said, what site or service should I use for setting up a Bitcoin wallet? Are there any run by trusted non-shill people, preferrably with free software? If that shouldn't be a concern, feel free to say so as well. Again, I'm a noob about this stuff.

Feel free to post your own questions about Bitcoin here for the more knowledgable to answer.
Well there are three different ways to create a cryptocurrency wallet, if my memory serves me correctly. The first way is to signup for an online crypto site/service; this handles all the software setup behind the scenes and gives you a convenient Fisher Price UI in your browser to do stuff. The second way, and original way, is to create your wallet on your local machine using one of the various cryptocurrency software. The third way is to buy a, "hardware wallet" which is just a piece of hardware preconfigured for easy and secure cryptocurrency storage.
If I were to get into crypto, I wouldn't use an online wallet as my trust for them has been soured ever since the Mt. Gox fiasco.
There are probably some wikis out there, similar to the Arch wiki, that probably discuss all these things at great length.
[Image: hYptjBR.jpg]

Brainlet here. Is ChainLink actually gud or is it nothing but a meme?
I generated myself an online Bitcoin Address.

Or use Bitcoin Core on your phone.
As far as I understand, website "wallets" just tell the site owner that they owe the user account a certain amount of crypto. They do this so that transactions are instantaneous and don't have miner fees (Which in the case of Bitcoin can be $30+).

A genuine cryptocurrency "wallet" is a small file that allows you to access your money from inside the public blockchain. Wallets can be accessed through a wallet application. There are two types of wallet applications: a full node, which has you downloading the whole blockchain (BTC and ETH are 100s of GB large), and a partial node, which accesses the blockchain from somewhere else online.

I've only used altcoin full node wallets, so I'm not sure which partial node wallets are recommended for BTC/ETH.
Coinbase is the biggest one all the boomers used to buy BTC but loads of people have had trouble with it from what I've heard (taking months to get your account verified during which time you can't make a withdrawal). They have also deplatformed people without notice for example Andrew Anglin - I doubt you will have that problem but still something to keep in mind.

The most /g/ tier option would be to run a full node on your thinkpad, maybe even use a hardware wallet, but realistically you should probably be fine with something like Electrum (free software) since downloading and verifying the whole blockchain is a massive PITA. For cashing out you can use LocalBitcoins when the time comes so you don't have to cuck yourself with registering at an exchange. I have heard good things about both Electrum and LocalBitcoins but, as with anything cryptocurrency related, use at your own risk - if Linux is the wild west cryptocurrencies are Somalia or something.
Get electrum. Free as in freedom wallet that just werks. Don't fall for these online services, there's literally no point in them other than another security risk.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can also use it in the CLI, which is probably something that you like.
Desktop: Arch Linux XFCE
Laptop: Shitty Acer that currently isn't in use, will probably get a thinkpad
This might help you pick one: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

[-]
Quick Reply