Philosoph, maths and language
Lightbulb 
Hey, i'm new on the forum, but I've been watching Luke's videos for a long time now... I'm a Spanish native speaker and I'm still learning English, so sorry in advance for the mistakes.

I'm graduating in mathematics and I've always been interested in philosophy and languages, thoug I've never dedicated time to study these subjects. Recently I have seen a great video about philosophy of mathematics (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbyp-MG0kdE) and my interest on the topic has come back. Next week I will finish my exams so I will have time to spend in studyng new topics (and different from the pure math courses that I'm a bit tired of).

I would like to study the theories about the philosophy interpretation of mathematics as a 'language'. I'm also interested on the mathematical notation per se. As a math student I think that the work of the matematician is conditioned by the notation. Sometimes the use of a different notation, or drawing or something can change entirely the perspective or understanding of a topic.

I dont know if I'm asking in the right place, but reading this forum I realized that people with great and vast backgrounds come here... Any reference, idea or comment is welcome. 
Thanks!
Hi, nice to see a fellow mathematician here! Which area are you studying? Topology, I presume?

I subscribe to your view that notation conditions thinking. Regarding mathematical philosophy, I only have read Freges Function und Begriff and Über Sinn und Bedeutung. I don’t even know who’s doing philosophy of mathematics as a language. Perhaps the usual suspects, Kant, Russel, Wittgenstein?
If doomsday’s coming, let the earth attack.
▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾

I like Chomsky's remarks on this. https://youtu.be/atupfHizJxM?t=274
(06-09-2018, 07:03 PM)haussdorff Wrote: I would like to study the theories about the philosophy interpretation of mathematics as a 'language'. I'm also interested on the mathematical notation per se. As a math student I think that the work of the matematician is conditioned by the notation. Sometimes the use of a different notation, or drawing or something can change entirely the perspective or understanding of a topic.

I dont know if I'm asking in the right place, but reading this forum I realized that people with great and vast backgrounds come here... Any reference, idea or comment is welcome. 
Thanks!

Probably the best place would be a Philosophy of Mathematics textbook and the article from the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy might be helpful. One introduction I read did mention how he felt the philosophical influence of mathematical notation was a neglected topic, so you have trouble finding good papers or books.

I think you should also be aware of the history of mathematical notation as well, so try to find books on that subject as well.
Math + Language = Musical Notation

At least I remember someone saying that music is the language of math. Or something along those lines.
Something that just came to my mind. You can read some articles on ncatlab and some relevant threads on mathoverflow. You can browse the Princeton Companion to Mathematlics and find some relevant blogs, like maybe Joel David Hamkin’s as a start and click through articles until you find something relevant to your interests.
If doomsday’s coming, let the earth attack.
▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾

(06-10-2018, 01:13 AM)RadC Wrote: I like Chomsky's remarks on this. https://youtu.be/atupfHizJxM?t=274
This is sort of a funny thing for him to say given Generative Linguistics in its entirety is basically an application of tools for analyzing formal "languages" to human languages. It's like he's chiding the him of 60 years ago.