external Displays
Hi guys,

can someone please explain luke´s display-script, how to set it up and how to run it comfy in rofi or via shortcuts?

I have an external monitor, I have to reboot when I want to use it.So no plug and play but what ever.
When I use this external monitor I dont need the screen on my laptop(black out). Is there a way to detect the second screen and switching to it while booting?

A Display-Shortcut for switching would be also fine.

I really thanks for your help and support!!

(@luke: maybe worth a yt-video?! )

regards

edit source:: https://github.com/LukeSmithxyz/voidrice...playselect
(06-05-2018, 03:37 AM)crimp Wrote: Hi guys,

can someone please explain luke’s display-script, how to set it up and how to run it comfy in rofi or via shortcuts?
Hi. Not worth a youtube-video, if you ask me:

Install xrandr (and arandr) and read about it on arch/Xrandr and study its man pages.

Bottom line: If you plug in your external monitor, there’s no need for reboot: Just run xrandr to list possible screen outputs. Say, the external monitor you have plugged in offers output VGA1 and your usual display offers output LVDS1. With a line like xrandr --output VGA1 --auto --left-of LVDS1, the screen will be activated.

Your window manager or desktop environment will take care of the rest. Look at the man pages for more options. Sometimes, --auto won’t work, then will you have to manually specify a mode. It’s in the man pages, too.

Luke’s script just automates that, probably tailored to his personal use cases.

Oh, and you can replace the dmenu commands in the script by rofi -dmenu to adapt the script to rofi. I don’t use rofi myself, but judging by its documentation, that should work. Add a shortcut for the script using your window manager’s or desktop environment’s facilities for that. If you add the script’s directory to your PATH variable (which is in .profile I guess?), it will probably show up in rofi.
If doomsday’s coming, let the earth attack.
▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾▴▾

Photo 
If you don't mind running X11 / PyGTK, then consider ARandR.'' https://christian.amsuess.com/tools/arandr/
I use ''ARandR'' attached to a keybind. It just werks ™.
Thanks I look into it

[-]
Quick Reply